Thailand Visas & Formalities
Passport must be valid for six months on date of application required by all nationals.
Generally, any foreigner who wishes to enter the Kingdom of Thailand for tourism, business, investment, study, medical treatment , mass media, religion, employment and other intentions is oblige to apply for a visa from a Royal Thai Embassy or a Royal Thai Consulate-General.
In order to obtain visa, a foreigner must possess a valid passport or travel document accepted by the Royal Thai Government and conform to the rules and regulations stated in the Immigration Act B.E.2522 (1979) and its related provisions.
Tourist or nationals of other countries are exempted from visa requirements when entering Thailand for tourism purposes. Such nationals will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days.
Tourist of certain countries may apply for visa upon arrival in Thailand at an international airport, immigration check points or a border crossing.
Other countries need to apply a visa before entering Thailand.
Royal Thai Embassies and Royal Thai Consulates-General may issue the following types of visas; Transit Visa, Tourist Visa, Non-Immigrant Visa, Diplomatic Visa, Official Visa, Courtesy Visa
Nationals permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days without visa.
Australia : Commonwealth of Australia
Austria : Republic of Austria
Belgium : Kingdom of Belgium
Brazil : Federative Republic of Brazil (**)
Bahrain : State of Bahrain
Brunei Darussalam : Negara Brunei Darussalam
Denmark : Kingdom of Denmark
Finland : Republic of Finland
France : French Republic
Germany : Federal Republic of Germany
Greece : Hellenic Republic
Hong Kong : Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Iceland : Republic of Iceland
Indonesia : Republic of Indonesia
Ireland : Republic of Ireland
Israel : State of Israel
Italy : Republic of Italy
Korea : Republic of Korea (**)
Kuwait : State of Kuwait
Luxembourg : Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
Monaco : Principality of Monaco
Netherlands : Kingdom of the Netherlands
Norway : Kingdom of Norway
Oman : Sultanate of Oman
Peru : Republic of Peru (**)
Philippines : Republic of the Philippines
Portugal : Republic of Portugal
Qatar : State of Qatar
Singapore : Republic of Singapore
Spain : Kingdom of Spain
South Africa : Republic of South Africa
Sweden : Kingdom of Sweden
Switzerland : Swiss Confederation
Turkey : Republic of Turkey
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom : United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
United States of America
Vietnam : Socialist Republic of Vietnam
(**) Brazil, Peru and Korea,, nationals of these 3 countries are exempted from visa requirements and are permitted to enter and stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 90 days.
Visa on Arrival
Nationals from 21 countries and territories may apply for visas at the immigration checkpoints for the purpose of tourism for the period of not exceeding 15 days.
Visa on arrival is provided at 24 designated international checkpoints and applicants should submit the application form duly filled out and to which his/her recent photograph (4 x 6 cm) is attached and a valid passport. The application fee is 1,000 Baht. Applicant must show proof of sufficient funds.
List of countries and territories is as follows:
Bhutan : Kingdom of Bhutan
China : People’s Republic of China
Cyprus : Republic of Cyprus
Czech : Czech Republic
Estonia : Republic of Estonia
Hungary : Republic of Hungary
India : Republic of India
Kazakhstan : Republic of Kazakhstan
Latvia : Republic of Latvia
Liechtenstein : Principality of Liechtenstein
Lithuania : Republic of Lithuania
Maldives : Republic of Maldives
Mauritius : Republic of Mauritius
Oman : Sultanate of Oman
Poland : Republic of Poland
Saudi Arabia : Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Slovakia : Slovak Republic
Slovenia : Republic of Slovenia
The following are list of Thailand’s Immigration Checkpoints which provide facilities for issuance of Visa on Arrival:
1. Suvarnabhumi Airport
2. Don Muang International Airport , Bangkok
3. Chiangmai International Airport , Chiangmai
4. Phuket International Airport , Phuket
5. Hatyai International Airport , Songkhla
6. U Tapao Airport , Rayong
7. Mae Sai Immigration Checkpoint , Chiengrai
8. Chieng Saen Immigration Checkpoint , Chiengrai
9. Chieng Khong Immigration Checkpoint , Chiengrai
10. Betong Immigration Checkpoint , Yala
11. Sadoa Immigration Checkpoint , Songkhla
12. Samui Airport , Surat Thani
13. Sukhothai International Airport, Tak Immigration Checkpoint
14. Bangkok Harbour Immigration Checkpoint, Bangkok
15. Sri Racha Immigration Checkpoint , Chonburi
16. Mabtaput Immigration Checkpoint , Rayong
17. Nong Khai Immigration Checkpoint, Nong Khai
18. Samui Immigration Checkpoint , Surat Thani
19. Phuket Immigration Checkpoint , Phuket
20. Satun Immigration Checkpoint , Satun
21. Krabi Immigration Checkpoint , Krabi
22. Songkhla Harbour Immigraion Checkpoint , Songkhla
23. Chiangrai Airport Immigration Checkpoint, Chiangrai
24. Surat Thani Airport Immigration Checkpoint , Surat Thani
Extension of stay for Tourist Visa
For visitors who wish to extend their stay or may wish to change their type of visa must vile an application for permission at the Office of Immigration Bureau located on Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120, Tel 02 287-3101-10 or at www.immigration.go.th
The extension of stay as well as the change of certain type of visa is solely at the discretion of the immigration officer.
Other Information on types of Visa
- Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay)
This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.
- Non-Immigrant Visa Category “B” (Business and Work Visa)
is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom to work or to conduct
- Three-Year Non-Immigrant Visa “B” (Business only)
Foreign citizen who wishes to visit Thailand for business purpose may apply for
a three-year Non-Immigrant Visa “B”. This type of visa may be issued to
businessmen for multiple-entries and is valid for 3 years. It allows holder to
visit Thailand as often as required for as long as the visa remains valid and
allows holder to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 90 days during
each visit. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited for holder of such visa.
- Please note that the period of visa validity is different from the period of stay. Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. In general, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years. The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker.
- Visitors who enter the Kingdom with Visa on Arrival generally cannot file an application for extension of stay except in special cases such as illness which prevents them from travelling, etc. They can submit an application at the Office of Immigration Bureau , Immigration Division 1, SoiSuan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120. Tel. 02 287-3101-10 ext. 2264-5 or at website www.immigration.go.th
- Travelers travelling from/through countries which have been declared Yellow Fever Infected Areas must acquire an International Health Certificate verifying the receiving of a Yellow Fever vaccination.
For more information contact your country’s Thai Embassy. A comprehensive details of visa requirements is provided by Thailand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.