Thailand VAT Refund for Tourists
Commodities or goods bought in Thailand are VAT inclusive. However, Visitors entering the Kingdom on tourist visas are entitled to refunds of the 7% value-added tax (VAT) paid on goods purchased at shops and department stores that participate in the ‘VAT Refund for Tourists’ scheme. Ask for a Vat Refund Form (P.P.10) and keep the original tax invoice(s) a store gives you. The refund may be claimed if the claimed amounts in all VAT Refund Forms (P.P.10’s) have been totaled 5,000 baht or over.
Tourist is eligible to receive P.P.10 form when the total purchase of 2,000 baht or over is made from the same store on the same date.
At the Airport, present the goods and submit the VAT Refund Application for Tourist form(P.P10) and original tax invoices to the Customs officers immediately before check-in for departure from the international airport of Thailand. (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai, Phuket, U-Tapao)
To claim a VAT refund you must:
• Not be a Thai national.
• Not be an airline crew member departing Thailand on duty.
• Depart Thailand from an international airport.
• Purchase goods from stores displaying a ‘VAT REFUND FOR TOURISTS’ sign.
• Take the goods out of Thailand within 60 days of purchase.
Guidelines on VAT Refund for Tourists:
2. Goods must be at least 5,000 baht including VAT and must be purchased from each supplier at the amount of at least 2,000 baht per day.
3. On the purchasing day, present your passport and ask a sales representative to complete the VAT refund for tourists’ application from (P.P.IO) and attach the original tax invoices to the form.
4. In order to claim a refund, the total value of purchases (per person) as combined from all VAT Refund Forms or P.P.10′s shall not be less than 5,000 baht.
5. VAT refund only applies to goods taken out of the country within 60 days from the date of purchase through the International Airports.
6. Before departure, present your goods and VAT Refund Application for Tourists form (P.P.10) to Customs officers for inspection and have the goods stamped and luggage stickers adhered by customs and let them sign all P.P.10′s before check-in.
7. Jewelry, gold ornaments, glasses and pens of which the value is 10,000 baht or over, must be hand-carried to the aircraft as they are subject to inspection by Revenue Officers in the departure lounge AFTER passport control.
8. Submit form and original tax invoices to Revenue Officers in order to claim your refund at the VAT Refund Counter after the Immigration Checkpoint.
VAT refund methods of payment:
- If your refund is less than 30,000 baht, payment will be made in cash (Thai baht) or by bank draft or credit to your credit card account.
- If your refund is more than 30,000 baht, payment will be made by bank draft or credit to your credit card account.
The following fees apply to refund request:
- A fee of 100 Baht, for cash refund.
- A fee of 100 Baht plus draft issuing fee at the rate charged by banks and postage fees, for bank draft refund.
- A fee of 100 Baht plus money transfer fee at the rate charges by banks and postage fees, for credit into credit card account refund.